According to a federal funded study, Atlanta is the sex trafficking capital of the world where the pimps make more than $30,000 a week! Other cities included in the study were Dallas, Denver, Kansas City, Miami, San Diego, Seattle, Washington, D.C. The point of the study? To figure out the size of the underground sex economy using crime data, interviews with prostitutes, pimps and law enforcement officials from 2003-2007. The underground sex economy includes prostitution, sex trafficking of adults and children, and child pornography. What’s interesting are the statistics they’ve found during the study:
- Sex trade in Atlanta has grown by 10% in 5 years, with $290 million spent annually.
- Atlanta pimps average 4 to 5 girls on their rosters.
- Clients are usually charged by the time, not necessarily the sex act. The average ranged from $50 to $1000 per hour.
- About 65 % of pimps in the study were African American, 10% Hispanic, 8% white, 8% “mixed”, 3% Asian, and the remaining percentage unknown (this isn’t specific to Atlanta).
- And the actual workers? According to the study 33% are African American, 17% white, 11% Hispanic, 8% multiracial, and the remaining percentage unknown. 78% of those workers were female.
And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. If you’re interested in learning more about the sex trade in all of the cities they studied, click here for the AJC article (which also includes a link to the 339 page study).